Saturday, September 28, 2013

Don't Dictate...Motivate

     I found that students will work better when they have motivation to complete a task. When a child knows that you genuinely care about them, they will begin to perform better because they want to make you happy by doing well. A child can read you very well, so if you are pretending to care and you don't, they will know. A student wants to have a positive student-teacher relationship with you. Sometimes I think a child acts out or misbehaves because he or she is unsure about the environment. They do not know if they can trust you. Make sure you build a relationship with your students.
     Another way to motivate is by adding humor to your lessons. Let your students see that you like to laugh and have fun, too. Don't be so serious all the time. I use a lot of humor throughout the day. Laughing is good for everyone. The child will see that you are human.
       Additionally, I motivate my students by making the lessons fun. Who wants to be in a classroom for about 6-7 hours and at no point, not have any fun? Just think when we are in professional learning for a day and it is not fun. We don't want to do that to our students. We want our lessons to be as interesting as possible. When planning think like a child the age of your students would think or better yet, ask them how they would like to learn something. You may be surprise by some of the great ideas your students give to you. I will continue to give more ideas on how to motivate your student tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment